Fault finding electrical Problems - AHHH! ?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fault finding electrical Problems - AHHH! ?
From: Greg Mahney <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:27:37 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm looking for people with logical minds and a basic knowledge of
electrical circuits to suggest how I should tackle the following problem.

I have a 1963 MK2A Sprite.  The type with just two, 35 Amp fuses.  One does
the headlights, the other, everything else.

I was driving to my club's big display day yesterday when I noticed the
fuel guage reading empty and the indicators not working.

Pulled over in dangerous position, engine still running, pulled out the
blown fuse, replaced it with the spare which immediately blew.  Not
satisfied with that I replaced that one with the other spare - instant
meltdown of the fuse.

Got in the car and went where I was going using caution and hand signals.

After the display I wiggled a few wires under the dash and those connected
to the fuse box, placed the headlight fuse in the other slot, started up
and everything worked.

Bewdy!

Got half way home and that one blew.

BTW  this fuse has blown twice before, each incident months apart.

In summary, I seem to have an intermittent short - right?

I imagine I have to go around to every circuit and look for signs of
burning, touching wires, corroded contacts - and then not really know if I
got it or not.

Is there a more elegant solution to my problem?  Am I barking up the right
tree?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Greg