Re: The best Healey (My two cents)

To: Editorgary@aol.com, GMari58175@aol.com, healeys@Autox.Team.Net, Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The best Healey (My two cents)
From: JustBrits@aol.com
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:04:41 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 11/21/98 4:24:39 PM Central Standard Time,
Editorgary@aol.com writes:

Hi gang:

   My .05 worth.

<<
 I always like to have the question stated clearly before the arguments begin
 (if our elected representatives would agree whether they are arguing about
 what Bill Clinton did, or what Ken Starr did, congress could probably save
 itself a lot of time, for example). >>

And US a hell of a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

<< Just to remind everyone -- the European Autoglym
concours winner was presented  in several of the English
magazines as being "the best in the world" >>

Doesn't that qualify as 'editorial' ??

<<and the articles went further to commend the owner on
how much time and effort he had  invested in research to
make sure that the car was historically correct >>

That actually 'could' be correct.

<<and restored exactly as it had left the factory. >>

Although, no longer a Concours Judge (but will volunteer Gary -
Convertibles & Frog-eyes only<G>) I DOUBT THAT.

<< The problem we on the U.S. concours committee had at the
time was that the car was fantastically well-restored and well-presented,
but was patently not historically correct and our concern was that
emulating its examples might lead people who wanted their cars to be
historically accurate to become confused. (Was Taylor right? Was
Clausager right? Was the North American Concours Registry right?
What's a poor restorer to do when all three of these sources disagree?)

 The point that was raised recently was relatively innocent -- the writer
hoped that a buyer would buy the car for what it was -- probably the most
incredibly-well-detailed show car Healey ever built -- rather than for what it
was not -- historically accurate in all of those details.

 We're not arguing whether concours is good, whether originality is good,
or whether Nasty Boys are fun to drive (they are!!).  We're simply arguing
about whether a specific car is being misrepresented. >>

IMHO (of course!), there is no arguement.  There are only very few
'none-production line cars left that can be authenticated as being
'different'.
How many of you folks would like to dispute Bruse and/or Inan from
Healey Surgeons in regards to 'Goldie' or Bill Woods in regards to
100S's or the gent (sorry, name doesn't surface at this - damn - Patrick Q. ?)
in AU in regards to rallye cars OR want to argue with John Chatham in
regards to "DD 300" (that one I would like to watch<G>).

<< There, I'm glad I got that out of my system.  Now I can go back to editing
my own work, instead of other peoples' writing. >>

Nah, Gary - YOU CAN'T!!!  We all know better<G><G>!!!

Cheers................

              Ed
              '63 BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey)(with AH BJ 7 license plates)
              Ex-Safety Officer - AHCA
              Past BJ-7/8 Concours Judge (Charlotte, Harrisburg, & a couple
others)
              Founding Member - ILLINI Chapter, AHCA
              Member - AHCUSA
              etal