brake clunk

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brake clunk
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:32:31 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dear Spridgeteers,

This week I noted a new and somewhat disturbing sound/feeling. When I park
my car in the garage, I run the tires up to a couple of bricks (lightly
braking, of course) then kiss the bricks, then brake as I begin to roll
backwards, then switch off. Lately when I do this, there is a clunk sound
and I feel it in the brake pedal as I brake rolling backwards. I felt the
same thing yesterday when I pulled into a parking space facing uphill and
braked as I rolled backwards slightly. This does not happen when I brake
after reversing (ie, when backing out of the driveway). It only happens
when I've been braking lightly going forward, then immediately and firmly
braking when rolling backwards. One of the front brake assemblies is also
squealing quite a bit. I put it down to new pads, but it's getting worse.
This of course could be totally unrelated.

I'm trying to trace any looseness in the front suspension or brakes. I have
not found any loose bolts or other connectors, but I'm not sure how to
properly inspect. Any thoughts on this? Are there obvious
bolts/linkages/etc that I should re-check?

Thanks for your advice,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision