Re: copper vs. steel

To: <Lancer7676@aol.com>, <john.kahoon@juno.com>, <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Subject: Re: copper vs. steel
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 09:45:06 -0500
Cc: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Back in the days when our British cars were just everyday cars, and were
driven in the snow and salt of the winter, I suppose rusting out of the
brake and fuel lines was a problem.  How many of the cars are going to be
driven in those conditions today -- especially those that are being
restored?  Seems to me concern about rusting lines is much ado about
little.  All my British cars have been fortunate to have spent their whole
lives in eastern N.C., where snow is pretty rare and salted roads are
non-existent.  None of them show any sign of rusting of the original steel
lines.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 "HEALEYUM"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Lancer7676@aol.com
> To: john.kahoon@juno.com; simon_matthews@avanticorp.com
> Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net; spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Re: copper vs. steel
> Date: Saturday, December 12, 1998 7:29 AM
>
> In a message dated 12/12/98 5:37:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> john.kahoon@juno.com writes:
>
> << I thought copper lines were illegal because of the seam ( not to
mention
>  , dangerous ).
>   Wouldn't painting your steel lines before you install them be better ?
>   >>

> I side with John here--I still hear little voices in my head and in my
reading
> both online and elsewhere that copper is not the way to go--Gas OR Brake
> lines.  I was thinking they were either illegal or not SCCA approved, or
not
> blessed by the Pope, or something.  But they ARE pretty and easy to bend
and
> work with, which may be the appeal.  Seems like if rust is a worry a good
coat
> of an epoxy paint would eliminate that worry, as John has suggested.
Again,