Re: PCV Valve/Drippy 1275

To: redlotus@spacey.net, ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: PCV Valve/Drippy 1275
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:19:25 PST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix,
A couple of the disadvantages I see to no breather is under wide open
throttle there is very little vacuum and maximum blowby if the
restrictor in the pcv is too small you will be pressurizing the
crankcase, and two under normal circumstances where there is vacuum in
the crankcase air has to be coming from somewhere like the dipstick tube
if there is no breather with a filter on it this will be unfiltered air.
On new cars this filtering is done by the charcoal evap canister.
Regards,
Peter.

>Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:17:30 -0800 (PST)
>From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
>To: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
>cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: PCV Valve/Drippy 1275
>
>Ron,
>
>what you say makes sense.  It would be the best oil leak control.  I
tried
>to come up with disadvantages, and could only think possibly more
blowby.

>I think I'll try your way if I ever go to a Weber.
>
>Ulix
>
>On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Ron Soave wrote:
>
>> I re-read what I wrote. Not quite right.  My way is a dead-headed
system,
>> not a vacuum. Any pressure build up in the case from blowby, etc.
results
>> in flow.  Common on new cars.  I have to remember the proper sequence
when
>> I get home: Unwind with beer, then answer challenging e-mail.
>>
>> ----------
>> > From: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
>> > To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
>> > Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
>> > Subject: Re: PCV Valve/Drippy 1275
>> > Date: Monday, December 14, 1998 4:42 PM
>> >
>> > It doesn't have to be.  For the "tightest" oil control you would
plug the
>> > valve cover or do what I did putting the crankcase at a vacuum.
You can
>> > also put a filter on either the valve cover or the timing cover,
putting
>> > the crankcase at essentially atmospheric with some flow thru the
system.
>> > went for maximum oil control, and figured I'd work my way towards
>> > atmospheric from there.
>> >
>> > ----------
>> spridgets@autox.team.net

>> > would