License Plate Restoration?

To: <spridgets@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: License Plate Restoration?
From: "R. Toby Atwater" <tob@taltec.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:54:01 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Are there any stencils or other "kits" available to restore old license
plates? I have a yellow text on black background old CA plate that is VERY
rusty. I cleaned it up but painting is a bitch.  1st try didn't have the
right paint. Bad Results! and the colour wasn't perfect. sanded everything
again 2nd try was just as bad. I'm not a painter! that's for sure. Can't
paint the letters & numbers correctly. (shaky hand) It's harder than it
looks.  Any help is appreciated...

by the way is this legal? the CA DMV will not give you new "old" plates. If
you lose em you have to get the crappy new blue text on white background
plates. A new plate on an old car is not holy!

Bye

Toby