Re: License Plate Restoration?

To: "Alan Inglis" <ainglis@bcresearch.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: License Plate Restoration?
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:00:30 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have tried all kinds of ways to restore a license plate, and none of them
have worked very well, except painting the whole plate the background
color, then tediously masking off and painting the numbers with their
color.  The old plates are a whole lot easier to restore than the modern
plates will be.  Now many states have jumped on the bandwagon of having a
"tapestry" applied to their plates by a decal before the numbers are
stamped.  Good luck to future restorers with those!

I am the 7th owner of my Midget, and have been fortunate to be able to
track down all of the previous owners.  The original owner, who sold the
car in 1976, still had the original 1973 N.C. license plate, which he sent
to me in 1990.  In N.C., an old plate can be used as the vehicle license
plate if the vehicle is 35 years old.  In another 10 years, I can put the
original plate back on the car.  Fortunately, it is perfect.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain