Re: Fiberglass Floorboards

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Floorboards
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:01:37 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Allen,
     I for one am not a fan of the fiberglass method, Fiberglass is too
brittle for my liking plus the exhaust runs right under the floor and
fiberglass does not like too much heat. The way I do a TEMPORARY repair
depends on the extent of the rust.
 Minor pinholes can be patched with the same epoxy stuff they sell for
patching gas tanks.
 Major holes should be trimmed back to reasonably solid metal and a
metal plate of at least the same thickness and bent to the same profile
as the floor riveted (steel rivets) over the hole. I use seam sealer
under the plate where it overlaps the floor.
All followed by a good coat of Corroless top and bottom.
 When using the epoxy make sure to sand to bare metal. If using the
metal plate you can paint the floor first.
Before painting I wire brush the floor and scrub it down with a good
water based degreaser like ZEP Industrial Purple then rinse well.
Make sure all drain holes are clear and try to avoid filling them up
with paint when brushing on the Corroless.
 If the holes are near the seat attachment points Fiberglass will not
hold up very well as there is a bit of flexing there even on a solid
car.
 If the seat attachment points are rusted out I would reccomend having
the plates welded in as there no feeling quite like hitting the gas
pedal and having the seat flip backwards.
 You really need to get the seats and carpet out to see which route to
take. Stab at the floor with a screw driver or awl to make sure the
floor is solid and not paper thin. I hope you are pleasantly suprised
when you get under there and find solid floors.
Regards,
Peter Samaroo
Charlotte NC
'59 Bugeye
'60 Bugeye Shell
'62 Midget
'71 Midget
'71 Fiat 850 Spider
'80 Pinto
'86 Dodge Ram 50
'92 Crown Vic
'95 Saturn
'91 Rottweiler(106lbs) '98 Lab(75lbs) '98 Mutt(66lbs)

>From: Ajhsys@aol.com
>
>Ulix and Steve,
>
>This is what I am hoping will work in my '77 Midget.  I haven't used
>fiberglass.  Is it readily available in auto parts stores?  Maybe I'm
jumping
>the gun a bit, as I haven't removed the seats and carpets yet!
(Another