Re: Where was that number?

To: autox@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Where was that number?
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:23:25 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Scott,
Your ANL5/XXXXX number is the chassis number, the one you register the car
with.  If the
plate that has this number is mounted to your firewall and you own a Bugeye, it
is in the
wrong location.  It was originally mounted on the left side chassis rail in the
engine
compartment.  The rail that runs parallel to the side of the car and slopes
down towards
the front(below your carbs).  Look for two holes in this rail where it was
originally
located.  The mysterious number below the firewall was an approximate number to
the body
number.  As John Thompson Pressings made the bodies, their production ran
almost identical
to the production of the finished car.  They stamped the bodies (with no ID
plates yet)
with THEIR production number and delivered them to Abingdon for assembly.  It
is not an
Austin assigned number, but it should be close to the chassis number on your
incorrectly
placed ID plate. Any other opinions from the list? Hope this helps.
Mike MacLean 60-Sprite