Re: paint scheme....

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paint scheme....
From: Bruce Henderson <bhndrson@west.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 01:51:24 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby,

You wrote:  >>  How would the Austin Heleay Sprite Gods feel about a paint
job similar too the curve of a big Heleay? How come only the previous
Heleays have it while the Sprite doesn't? <<

The big Healey has a defined body contour on the side panel that applies
itself for the bicolor scenario.  Sprites (be thankful they aren't Midgets -
sorry guys, but Donald had it right. . . JUST KIDDING!) have straight panels
(or should) and any bicolor scheme you apply to it will be emulating the big
Healey, if that is your intent, but will be somewhat contrived.  I suppose
one could "pay homage" to the Sprite's bigger brethren with a similar paint
scheme, but I'd think it should be with similar colors.  Additionally, it
might look better on a Bugeye/Frogeye because of the similar profile at the
rear of the car.

>> I just can't get over the bi color paint scheme... <<

It will pass. . . 8-)

With the square-body Spridgets, I think one could have a go with certain
bicolor schemes, but you'd have to carefully plan it or you'd end up with
another "amatuerish" attempt at trying to make your car different than the
next - but heck, how many other Spridgets are you likely to meet on the
street anyway?  Talk to the paint guys who undoubtedly have seen and heard
every proposal devised by man for applying two colors to the same vehicle.
Single colors are safe; multiple colors get risky - U.S. cars of the 50s
could be had with three colors - didn't last long.

For my two cents worth, the Spridgets group doesn't seem to be too uptight
about non-standard colors (unlike the 356 crowd of which I am also a member)
except for concours.  I've always been partial to a certain shade of
robin's-egg blue that I think would be just the ticket for a Sprite and may
have been a standard color for the Bugeye/Frogeye.

Regards,
Bruce
1969 Austin Healey Sprite Mk. IV (almost seller 8-( )