Re: Hardtop Questions

To: AHSprite78@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hardtop Questions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:14:36 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
AHSprite78@aol.com wrote:

> I have found a guy with a hardtop and am wondering what I should look for in
> one.  What are they made of?  What are common problems with them?  What is the
> going  rate for one?  Give me any info good and bad about them.  Thanks.
>
> Matthew Smith
> '67 Sprite

Most are made of fiberglass.
Fiberglass cracks with age, not structurally, but it gets hairline
crackes which are not easy to repair.
Look for all the mounting hardware.
Do a test fit. I have a hardtop for a MKIV Sprite which is 1" too
narrow!
Somehow it shrunk. I had to cut it and fill in exactly one inch in
width.
Maybe it was a defect from day one. Maybe it was an original Moss hard
top! It fits fine now but nobody ever could expain the reason why it was
too narrow.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ