How I fell in love with my Sprite ( long )

Subject: How I fell in love with my Sprite ( long )
From: "Russell Penney" <rpenney@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:53:45 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I thought I might share how I came to be a Sprite owner, mainly to cheer
myself up after a bit of a repair fiasco which left me wondering why did I
buy this thing!?

I was coming out of a divorce after 10 years and one child, rapidly
approaching my 30th birthday and generally feeling very lost and lonely. She
had gotten the car in the settlement and with my dislike of waiting for
trains, buses and trams ( Melbourne is one of the few places in the world
which still has trams as a main public transport system ) I needed a new
car. I had a hotted up Mini when I was 21 which was written off by a friend
( not his fault ) after only 2 years. I loved that car and thought I should
buy another one now. I flipped through some car classified papers and saw a
Sprite advertised, I was in love instantly!
So I started doing some investigation about them. I had heard of the BugEye
before but never seen one or any of the other sorts. Started hanging out in
bookshops looking at photos. Started talking to my friends about Sprites who
laughed and ribbed me about my midlife crisis to which my snappy reply was
"I want my sports car while I can still bend my knees enough to get in it".
I was still thinking about Minis at this stage but always had the image of a
MKII or MKIII sprite in the back of my head. One day I was a work flicking
through a car magazine and saw about 4 for sale with pictures. I went round
the office showing people and seeing what they thought. A very close friend
said "With that car, your 8 year old daughter and a puppy, you will pick up
so many women" and laughed. Then she turned serious and said "You have been
through a really tough time and should reward yourself. If it is what you
want then go for it, nobody can stop you". Then fate stepped into the
picture, I left her office and went outside with the picture still in my
hand to have a cigarette and to think. As I stepped out onto the street what
drove past but a perfect red, shiny car that looked like the picture. I had
never seen a Sprite for real so I wasn't sure so when the car stopped at the
traffic lights about 20 metres away, I sprinted over to the driver and asked
him what it was. "It's a MKIII Sprite" said the guy driving this immaculate
car. "That's what I want to buy" I said still clutching the photo and then
he said the words I still remember "Well buy one, they are the best car you
can have and you will never regret it". He smiled and tore off leaving me in
the middle of the road staring after this perfect car.

So I bought one!

Why am I telling you all this? Well I found a good car about a year ago
which turned out to be a dog. The PO stuffed the whole car up. Wrong parts
 from the wrong sort of car ), worn parts, he lied to me about problems
 the 5 speed gearbox he sold me, he said had been in the car and just needed
to be reco'd. WRONG. $1800 dollars later to get the car modified to fit the
gearbox ). I have had a lot of fun but just last week I replaced the RH
front hub. I was careful to get the bearings the right way round but
discovered when I took it for a drive that actually I had the outer one the
wrong way round. Scratch one bearing. I got depressed and wondered why I had
bought this heap. Then I remembered the story I have just told you, got a
new bearing, was more careful, fixed the problem and took it for a test
drive this morning. Handles like a dream.

I love my car. I love how children wave at me when I drive past and make
loud comments "Look at the car Mum". I love picking up my daughter from
school in it ( she thinks I am the coolest dad, she got her whole class
including teachers to come and have a look when I first got it ). I love
that my friends fight to get a lift. While I wouldn't go out with a woman
who only liked me for my car, it does start conversations. All in all, I am
very happy with my choice.

Guess I just needed to reaffirm my choice, no regrets.

Thanks for listening
Russell
1965 MKIIIA Sprite ( who needs a name )
10 speed mountain bike