Re: Aluminum scratches

To: TYPE79@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Aluminum scratches
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 07:43:38 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Keith and Jay,

i used Eastwoods polishing kits to polish an aluminum Motorcycle frame to
a mirror finish.  It is important you don't skip any steps working from
roughest abrasive to finest.  It will require some maintenance or a
protective clear coat.  You can make it look better than chrome in my
opinion.

Ric

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:09:56 -0600 (CST) TYPE79@ix.netcom.com writes:
>Hi,
>This is a very good suggestion. I might add that a suitable
>alternative to the buffing wheel is "Nev-r-dull" which is a treated
>wadding in a can.
>
>You can use this to buff the aluminum after sanding to whatever finish
>you choose. I'm not sure that you would get it all the way to
>chrome-like finish but this method will certainly bring it back to the
>satin finish and even beyond.
>
>Jay Fishbein, CT
>AN-5
>HAN-6
>Innocenti-S
>
>On 02/02/99 21:37:05 you wrote:
>>
>>Keith,
>>I think that you are on the right track, but there is a way to take
>some of
>>the labor out of the process.  I would file out what you have to and
>then sand
>>with a relatively coarse paper.  You don't have to go any finer than
>220 grit,
>>and it doesn't have to be perfect.  Next, get a buffing wheel and two
>compunds
>>from your local hardware store.  The cloth wheels come in a variety
>of
>>stitchings, so you will need to find the one that the matches the
>compound
>>that you need.  The compound has two properties, cut and color.  You
>might
>>need two kinds; one to cut fast, and one to color(polish) the metal.
>If you
>>want a mirror finish, go with the white compound for the final buff,
>otherwise
>>the rouge will give a satin look.  Hope this helps.
>>Cheers,
>>Chris
>>BJ8

Richard L. Bergstrom, President, Central Virginia British Car Club,
Richmond, VA
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://www.centralvamg.com/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HEAR YE! HEAR YE!  The MG club is no more.  We now are the Central VA
British
           Car Club and welcome all forms of automobile from the British
Isles.
 If you live within 100 miles of Richmond you should join us!   Email me
for INFO!