Re: Makin' Trouble!

To: "Justin Cook" <justincook@yahoo.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Makin' Trouble!
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:53:22 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I had a '68 Fiat 850 Spyder back around '71, I think.

In its own way, it was as much fun as the Bugeye, and a LOT more refined in
the bargain. I've never owned another car that I could drive as fast as the
850 in serious twisties. Being rear-engined, it oversteered a LOT, and I
just loved hanging the tail out on a curve. And even though it would drag in
the snow, I used to go out in heavy Missouri snows and TRY to get stuck,
just to see if I could get out again. I always could, with minimal effort.
(In those MO winters, I would wait for the engine to warm up before opening
the heater water cock, which would then  peg the temp gauge. <g>)

The big downsides were a pitifully underpowered engine, and the Weber carb
was generally either wonderful or else it wouldn't even run. The sheetmetal
was so thin it was impossible to avoid occasional push-ins that left a
crease when they popped back out. A teenage girl once stood on the front
bumper and almost tore it off.

That Fiat was my only transportation for a couple of years, and it did a
good job apart from an occasional carb-related stranding. I exchanged it for
a '67 Stingray. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Here's an example of how much fun the Fiat 850 was: I bought it from a guy
who had owned it for two years, and he was totally blown away when I put a
radio in it. He had never noticed that it didn't have one!

My sister used to have a 124. It was a lot of fun to drive, too, but in a
whole 'nother class from cars like the 850 and the Sprite.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC