Re: shock absorber colors

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: shock absorber colors
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:29:03 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Curious...... I've got quite a few pair of new rear shocks for semi-eliptic
cars that are painted yellow AND blue on the arms identically! Perhaps it
was Armstrong's replacement inventory vs. the installed-at-the-factory
parts? Also have NOS late 1/4 eliptics where L & R BOTH have a silverish
smudge of paint. Perhaps instead, Armstrong used the paint as a part number
indicator to save the workers at Armstrong from having to read the little
number stamped on the ear? Dunno, but I doubt the handedness explanation.
        At least the overall color question is solved................ kinda
Thanks to all who replied! You folks are great.
Peter C.
-------------
At 09:17 PM 2/11/99 , you wrote:
>Daniel,
>     The significance of the yellow or blue paint was to tell the men on the
>assembly line which one to grab for which side.  It was easier to grab a
>yellow colored shock for the right side (correct?) than to look at it and
>try to figure out if it was a lefty or a righty.
>     It saved time on the assembly line also.  Always a consideration of
>management anyway.
>Mike MacLean-60 Sprite
>Daniel Thompson wrote:
>
>> One more thing: I had read somewhere about the significance of the
>> yellow or light blue "smudge" of paint on the shock arms but I can't
>> remember where.
>>
>> Right now I just got off a plane and I am falling asleep, so I will look
>> it up tomorrow.
>>
>> Daniel T.

Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti