...I forgot to laugh....(long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: ...I forgot to laugh....(long)
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:03:33 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi everyone.
First a hearty "thankyou" to all who posted answers to the dash bulb question.
I should have just meandered into RS and taken a look. They didnt have a very
large selection at all. I purchased two packs, at 1.19$ each. Of course three
out of four worked right out of the package. Number four didnt light unless
tapped when powered up. Oh well, the oil/temp gauge already was bright
enough.I will just use the original bulb.
( I should have stopped there. )
Then I decided to clean the face of the fuel gauge, since the lens was dirty
inside and the face had a funny gray tinge to it.
Brought it inside, took it apart. With a dry, clean paper towel I rubbed the
face. "hmm thats odd. Where did the letters go?"
Aw $h*t I rubbed the E 1/2 F right off.
Nuts. Well, I  found a (GM) fuel gauge, took the face off, cut the letters
E,F, and  1/2 out with tin snips, and super glued them in the appropriate
places after shooting the face with some satin enamel. Looks good. Decided to
just rub the name plate with some dielectric grease to shine it up and remove
the gray tinge. Worked nice. "Smiths" didnt rub off that way, and neither did
"Fuel" and has a decent shine to it.
As I go to replace the guage, my hand snaps the little trip odometer reset
cable off. The plastic was brittle. Out comes the speedo, got creative, made a
little "fork" that holds the cable in using one of the speedometer "guts"
attatching screws.
Decided to fix the backup light switch on the trans. One of the wire
connections had pulled off .Took it out,soldered it back on. Overheated the
plastic, switch stuck in. Had to file the edge off, open it up, smooth out the
plastic, cleaned the contacts. greased with dielectric, put it back together,
crimp the edges back down.
Got it all back. Went to put the ignition key in for the first time today.
Wouldnt even BEGIN to go in. Fiddled, not forced. Fiddled some more. Hmm,
never done that before. Tapped on the lock with the handle of a screwdriver.
Tried again. Key breaks off without even entering the lock. (!!)
Great. Whip out the wallet, find the spare key. Goes right in. (!) Turns no
problem. Nothing bent or fussed with the tip of the broken key. Lock barrel
must have too much wear , the tapping with the screwdriver handle must have
gotten things aligned. Tried the spare key a dozen times. Never a problem,
smooth as silk.

Theres an MG "spirit" out there, laughing his ass off at me.
But it was all so funny, I forgot to laugh.
So now that its all over, I can laugh. Rolling on the floor.
Thanks for reading! ;^)
Gary
75 Midgets