Re: ...I forgot to laugh....(long)

To: Thecarguru@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ...I forgot to laugh....(long)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:06:15 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/13/99 12:07:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Thecarguru@aol.com writes:

<< Decided to fix the backup light switch on the trans. One of the wire
 connections had pulled off .Took it out,soldered it back on. Overheated the
 plastic, switch stuck in. Had to file the edge off, open it up, smooth out
the
 plastic, cleaned the contacts. greased with dielectric, put it back together,
 crimp the edges back down.  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A word of caution about using dielectric grease on 12 volt contacts.
Dielectric grease is NOT a conductor.  It was designed to be used in high
voltage situations, like inside a distributor cap to prevent arcing.  The high
voltage at those contacts goes right through it, but it prevents the voltage
from tracking around to the other posts inside, and it keeps water out of plug
wires.

This information was just posted here a few weeks ago, but I forgot who posted
it.  At the time, I was also under the impression that dielectric was supposed
to conduct, so I squeezed some out on a file card and tested it with my ohm
meter.  It is definitely not a conductor.

Look for another type of grease, maybe one with copper in it for low voltage
contacts, and test it with a meter.

Allen Hefner #51
'77 Midget (DSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)