Re: Not for the purists ;-)

To: "robert weeks" <robert@woozy.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Not for the purists ;-)
From: "Bruce Woodward" <brucewoodward@kconline.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:52:32 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
i just repainted my engine compartment with rustoleum Hunter Green.  Not
quite a match for BRG but gives a good surface to keep clean.

I spent 6 to 7 hours degreasing and degunking engine compartment, removed
all peripherals, (wiper motor, fuse box, voltage regulator, coil, motor,
tranny, et al) prior to painting.   No matter how much you clean, you'll
always find some grease you missed.

I also sandblasted away some surface rust, cut away some cancerous rust, had
to rebuild area with new metal under battery.   I also used Duro Extend in
aerosol spray for some serious rust areas that were uncuttable.    thus the
finish coats with rustoleum.

I once painted a van in Seattle,in a carport covered with plastic sheeting,
with rustoleum in spray cans.  People were stunned when I brought up point
that it had been painted with spray cans, they were not aware.   I sold the
van some five years after painting it and was just starting to show
thick/thin differences.  this van was never garaged in those five years.
I'm sold on doing small areas with spray cans.  It's just getting the color
to match or complement other areas.

bruce@woodward-realty.com