Re: Hooray (sorta)

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Hooray (sorta)
From: r o b e r t w e e k s <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:24:42 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Ulix,

There were a number of small problems that added up to one large problem.

First the rear 1/2 round cork sump seal was a little on the short side. I
noticed this when I installed it but hoped that with some blue it would
seal. It didn't. I replaced that seal.

Secondly, I loosened the top half of the rear seal and ran some blue sealer
behind it, then I used a wood jawed clamp to pull it down as far as it
would go towards the crankshaft. Then I retightened it.

There was a small leak coming from the oil pump. I replaced the gasket and
put some blue sealer around the cover. All of these gaskets were brand new,
it's pretty disconcerting that the quality was so low on some of them.

Lastly, the rings are starting to seat themselves so there is a lot less
blow by. The engine only has 160 miles on it so far, but the crankcase
pressure seems to be much less than it was when I first started running it.

My biggest mistake was to be stingy with the blue sealer when I assembled
the engine. The old time mechanics may say you don't need it, but as my
friend who has been building MG engines for 30 + years says; "you got to
pile on the blue, and don't be bashful"

Robert