Houston, We Have Liftoff

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Houston, We Have Liftoff
From: "Larry & Sandi Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:07:03 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
After two years and untold dollars I finally drove the Red Bugeye today.
Only around the block but it was under it's own power and it's a long block.
The DCOE 40 is not even close even though I paid Pierce Manifolds extra to
have it jetted to where I was assured it would at least run well enough to
drive it.

The car starts hard but idles ok once you get it started. Until the engine
is warm, touching the throttle causes the carb to stumble and die. After
it's warm any partial throttle and it bogs down and dies. I had to blip the
throttle a few times to get the revs up to 4000 or so, pop the clutch and
away we go. Keep it wide open and it goes like hell, or let it idle, but
nothing in between.

I need to say that this engine runs fine and I know the problem is not
elsewhere. It ran perfect with the DGV I just removed. The DGV was removed
because it will not fit under the glass bonnet.

The front suspension with the Frontline shock replacement felt really,
really good but the rear is too soft. I'm going to have to put at least one
leaf back in.

Will try to get some jets next week and start trying to match the Weber to
the engine. Any tips?

The only other problem at this time is a slight leak at the gas tank
connection. Can't tell if it's the line connection or where the whole unit
goes in the tank.

Really getting close to having a road car. Pretty much done except for
carpet and panels. Should be ready for the Monterey All British show.

Larry Miller