welding

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: welding
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 08:16:19 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Is it really hard and/or expensive to learn to do your own gas-welding?

My Bugeye Sprite has several bubbled spots in the paint below the doors and
behind the rear wheels, and I just know that I'm going to find rust there. I
would like to fix it all myself, but I've never welded in my life. I guess
what I need to figure out is whether I would save enough money by doing it
myself to pay a big chunk of the cost of setting up and learning the welding
as well as offset the potential loss in quality of my own work.

Or would I be smarter just to pay to have it done in a body shop?

Thank you very much for your input on this. I would like to ask the group to
forgive me for asking little other than questions here without contributing
much of anything. The truth is, I don't know much of anything. <sigh>

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC