Re: welding

To: Tom Zuchowski <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: welding
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:09:14 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Tom Zuchowski wrote:

> Is it really hard and/or expensive to learn to do your own gas-welding?
>
> My Bugeye Sprite has several bubbled spots in the paint below the doors and
> behind the rear wheels, and I just know that I'm going to find rust there. I
> would like to fix it all myself, but I've never welded in my life. I guess
> what I need to figure out is whether I would save enough money by doing it
> myself to pay a big chunk of the cost of setting up and learning the welding
> as well as offset the potential loss in quality of my own work.
>
> Or would I be smarter just to pay to have it done in a body shop?

The price of a welder (mig in this reply) is $300-$600 depending on the
type and quality. (I recently got rid of the $300 and bought the $600)
There IS a difference! Say you bought a $300 welder, some sheet metal, a
grinder, welding gloves and helmet, you are now into the equipment for
$400 or so.
If your car is ready for a welder, he may only charge 2-300 for the
work, I'm talking welder who works on the side for some extra cash here.
Maybe even less. I am not a pro at welding but I am getting better.
A guy up the road is a pro welder by trade, he says that my welds are
"gorilla welds" strong but ugly! This gorilla welding technic of mine
has sharpened my grinding skills.
I do use the professional welder for structural welds, I would not want
my car breaking in two while at speed on a twisty road. He doesn't
charge me any money, just a few beers. But then again when he needs help
installing his new door, I only charge him a few beers.
He has tought me a lot about welding and though my welds are ugly, he
says they will hold up.

Now the other side of the coin...
I can not imagine working on cars with out a welder. A quick weld on an
exhaust system, repair that "unique" part, make that special tool, I
often wonder how I lived so long with out one.
The same holds true for the compressor, impact wrench, and glass bead
cabinet. I must have managed but I will never go back to the old ways.

Consider purchasing a cheap welder, READ the instructions and "how too
tips" practice on some scrap metal, try various settings untill you are
comfortable. Do not pratice for 20 minutes and think you have it down
pat. Over time the welder will pay for itself but then again once you
get better at it you will want a better welder. Check the local
classifieds for used welders, garage sales, estate sales, they can be
found at reasonable prices.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ