Re: Yep -- Threads again.....Was Bulbs

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Yep -- Threads again.....Was Bulbs
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:43:34 -0800 (PST)
Cc: MG List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Nothing wrong with that at all, in my book.  I just like finding out
the little mysteries of these cars compared to the American ones I've
always had before.  Someone knows the answer, at least at Moss & VB we
hope, and I want to know too!  This sort of excessive search for
knowledge adds to my entertainment, and has led to exciting (for me
anyway) little adventures, like finding an Italian source for my
1500's fuel pump, and other goofy nonsense I enjoy. I know pipe
threads aren't really important in the big scheme of things, but
neither is anything else to do with these cars either!  It's all about
finding your own fun with them, I guess.....

MD

---Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Michael,
>      What's wrong with ordering a drain plug for Moss or VB?  They
can't
> be that expensive.  Minimania has a drain plug with a magnet in it
to pull
> out metal shavings when you change oil.  I have one and think it's a
good
> idea.
> Mike macLean-60 Sprite
>
> Michael Dietsche wrote:
>
> > Yes, seems like I've seen those inserts somewhere myself.  In the
past
> > I had to just tap out the stripped hole to a larger size to save the
> > pan, and this was on an American engine with a cross-threaded plug
of
> > correct thread type!  To avoid dropping steel shavings into the sump
> > that meant removing the pan first and cleaning it good after the
fix.
> > All that added up to a major headache -- the alternative was to
endure
> > a leak (which I've also done on other cars with a mangled drain).
> >
> > My whole point in asking the thread type for Midgets was to avoid
this
> > kind of nonsense by using the right plug to begin with.  I have some
> > reason to suspect that the drain threads might be British plumbing
> > standard, and if so then screwing in something from the local
American
> > hardware store might cause the above-mentioned nightmare.  I don't
> > know that for sure, but I'd like to know before experimenting on my
> > pan, tranny case or axle -- that's why I asked the question.  If
> > someone can tell me that American threads are compatible here I'll
> > happily use American drain plugs!  Till then I remain
> > suspicious......just because you can wrestle a part in place doesn't
> > mean everything's ok.
> >
> > Michael
> >
> > ---Lancer7676@aol.com wrote:
> > >
> > > In a message dated 3/15/99 12:26:46 PM EST, mdietsche@yahoo.com
> > writes:
> > >
> > > <<  anyone who has ever stripped the threads
> > >  on an oil pan will agree with me.  >>
> > >
> > > Michael--
> > >
> > > There is some sort of insert you can buy that screws into stripped
> > oil pan
> > > threads--it has its own plug/bolt for draining the oil.  I can't
> > remember
> > > where I saw it--coulda been JC Whitney or perhaps someplace like
> > NAPA or
> > > Advance.  I am thinking it was Whitney.
> > >
> > > ---David
> > >

> > ==