RE: Yep -- Threads again.....Was Bulbs

To: "'Michael Dietsche'" <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Yep -- Threads again.....Was Bulbs
From: "Haynes, Mark" <mhaynes@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:45:38 -0700
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
As a machinist ,it piqued my curiosity. I've worked with BSP threads before,
but only to replace them with BSP threads.
According to The Machinists' Handbook, BSP threads differ in pitch, and
minor diameter from NPT threads.
                pipe size       BSP             NPT
                1/8             28tpi           27tpi
                1/4             18tpi           19tpi
                3/8             18tpi           19tpi
                1/2             14tpi           14tpi   minor diameters
differ by .0186"(BSP being larger)
                3/4             14tpi           11tpi
                1"              11.5tpi                 11tpi

All this goes to show that the small differences in thread per inch counts
are just enough to allow a plug to start and feel like it "might be right"
and thus lead the uninitiated or ham-fisted to cross thread a similar yet
incorrect plug in place.
If you want to know if your plug is BSP or NPT, take it to a nearby Hardware
store, or your friendly local machinist, and have them use a thread pitch
gage on it
to find it's pitch.
Mark Haynes
'62 HAN6 RMVR