Re: 71 midget

To: ERIC080@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 71 midget
From: Nory P <nory_midget@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:26:01 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

>Question for list:

>I just ran into a 71 midget, all
>original, only 33000 miles.  Has not
>been out of garage in last 10 years
>but it started up immediately and
>sounds excellent. Excellent body,
>paint, interior and exterior.

>Now for the question... he wants
>$5000.00, I already own a 77 midget in >restored
condition.  What is top end
>price for a perfect 71 midget with all >orginial
equipment???

For starters, if it has not been out of the garage in
10 years, then it is not -perfect-.  Every rubber part
on the car will be dry-rotted and needs to be replaced:
 all tires, hydraulics, brakes, hoses, boots, bushings,
etc., etc,.You'd be surprised how much rubber stuff
there is on a car....  I know a guy who had to do this
work for a friend on a -perfect- MGA --- Believe me, it
can be quite expensive and labor-intensive.  In
addition to the rubber, there may be other things that
are seized up from not being used.  A little P-B
Blaster may free them up, but maybe not....

THe mileage may or may not be correct.  Let's face it:
it's a 28 year old car.  That speedometer may not be
original, or may have rolled over 3 times for all you
know.  Unless it's documented, I would take the mileage
with a grain of salt....  I have a '71 that says it has
34,000 miles on it, and I don't believe it for a
minute!

As far as a -perfect- Midget goes, after my '74 had a
cosmetic restoration, it was appraised at $3900, and I
was told that there was nothing else I could do to it
that would significantly increase it's value.  A
pristine Midget still wouldn't be worth more than
$4500, and a $5000 Midget would be an exceptional car
indeed!

That said, you may have found a nearly exceptional car,
but I promise you it will need the previously mentioned
rubber work.  Pointing this out to the seller may
encourage him to bring the price down.  In any case,
I'd probably offer $3500, and maybe I'd let them talk
me up to $4000 if the car was really like new, but not
a penny more, and certainly not $5000.

Heh, my 3 Midgets didn't total $5000 - tho' I've
probably put at least that much into them........

===

***The above address is for list purposes only.  Please send private e-mail, as
before, to Nory@webtv.net
-----NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the ONLY
problem.

Do You Yahoo!?