Re: Spring Rates??

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spring Rates??
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:15:46 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My advice is before you change anything make sure  the basics are right.
You'll be surprised how good a standard car can be.

Peter Westcott

----------
From: Kroyell@aol.com
To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Spring Rates??
Date: Monday, 29 March 1999 15:54

Hi All

I am planning to "fix" the poor handling characteristics of my 72 midget
and
thought I would first check the wisdom of the list.
I want to cure the problem caused by 27 year old springs and bushings, as
in
excessive sway and rear end steering. The ride height is OK even with
175/70
tires, but could handle a little lower ride height if necessary. I have a
broken leaf on both sides of the rear springs and really don't know what a
"stock" ride height would be. After looking in all the catalogs I have
found
that front springs range from 270lb to 500+ are available. Since this is
primarily a street car I know I don't want the 500lb versions but what
about
the 300-400 range? As for the rear springs I saw that MOSS is offering 2
versions other than the stock ones and all they say is lower by 1 inch or
by 2
inches. Once again I don't think that the extreme of 2 inches is practical
but
how do you know what to put in the front to match the choice for rear
springs?? I also thought I would put in harder bushings than the stock
rubber
ones any suggestions in this area Poly or Nylon or ??, who has the best,
reasonable pricing??

Thanks in advance for all the help.

York Powell
72 Midget "the baby car"