Suspension bushes

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension bushes
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:32:41 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
No flames intended but it's time for my two bob's worth again.  I've been
competing and daily driving in Sprites for more than twenty years and used
to use nylon bushes but have reverted to the standard metalastic type.  In
my experience nylon gives sharper feel but also makes the car less
directionally stable and wears out the bearing surface in the wishbone
which was not designed to be a bearing surface.  Sprite wishbones (and
trunnions) were designed so the bush 'stuck' to the wishbone and the
suspension deflection was taken up in the twist of the bush.  For this
reason rubber grease shouldn't be used in assembly, if anything a smear of
dishwashing liquid can be used.  All the bushes in a Sprite front end
should also have crush tubes on the inner bores.

Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott
Melbourne  Australia
toobmany@bigpond.com