Re: Dashpot oil, generator, clutch

To: AHSprite78@aol.com
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil, generator, clutch
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 20:10:02 -0400
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
AHSprite78@aol.com wrote:

> Ok, remember a long time ago when there was a thread about what oil to use in
> the SU carbs.  I think the consinces was to use Marvel Mystery Oil, or at
> least some people liked it.  Do you put just that in the carbs? it seems
> kinda thin.  Also, how should I get all of the old oil out of the dashpots?
> Does it really work in the engine oil (as it claims)?

It all depends on how you like the carbs to preform.
Thicker 20 wt oil slows the pistons.
To remove all the old oil, take of the dashpot and turn upside down.

> On to the next question.  The generator was not charging the battery so, I
> replaced it with rebuilt unit from Victoria british.  I put it in and the
> little red light on the speedo still stays lit even when the engine is revved
> up.  Is the light wired wrong?  Is there something I goofed up (most likely)?

How is the voltage regulator?
To see if the generator is putting out, disconnect the 2 wires from it,
hook up a test light (or voltmeter) to the large lug and to ground. The
light should light or the meter should read 18 volts. No light, bad
generator, if it lights, check the regulator.

> Last question (sigh)  The clutch does not seem to be completely disengaging.
> I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder on the tranny.
> I've bled the clutch.  It shifts fine, but releases at the floor.  When I
> brake to a stop though it tried to stall.  Is there any way to get a little
> more out of it or something?

Try extending the clutch pin just a bit, too much will eat the throw out
bearing. You can see this thru the upper bellhousing hole, the t/o
should be just clear of the p/plate with no pressure on the clutch
pedal.
Try sticking a suitable nut inside the slave cylinder where the pin
goes, make sure the pin does not fit thru the nut. 5/16 nuts work well
for this.
Again, too much is NOT good, check the clearance.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ