Re: rear dampers question.

To: DRDohm@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear dampers question.
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:32:40 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Don,
        What's the point of _keeping_ wisdom? ;-)  This diatribe might help, I
hope it does.
Terminology: Damper body - non-ferrous bit that has (or had) the oil in it
        Damper lever - aka. arm -  the steel arm protruding from the above
having
a tapered hole at its extremity.
        Link - the steel rod with a rubber encased "ball joint" with tapered
stud
at the shock arm end and a  plain rubber encased stud at the spring-plate end.
        As Peter S suggested... for what you are doing you can leave the link
attached to the arm. If you want to remove it, undo the nut and with the
arm securely in a vise, rap the arm (not the link) along its longitudinal
axis so as to "squeeze" the hole thusly "popping-out" the tapered stud.
(This technique works well on tie rod ends also). If the stud rotates so
that you can't remove the nut, then the function of the taper is lost (it
should be tight in the arm) and likely the rubber socket has
deteriorated... consider replacing the link. You'll have to devise a way to
hold that stud to remove the nut (vise-grips?)
        Have at it!     Peter C
feeling particularly loquaciuos today..... must be spring.
---------