Re: Privatization-NOT

To: davemiles2sonaz@uswest.net
Subject: Re: Privatization-NOT
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:41:59 EDT
Cc: GMari58175@aol.com, hello39@idt.net, davemiles2sonaz@uswest.net, ERIC080@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi All,

I've got to weigh in here on the USPS vs UPS theme here.

I don't work for either one.  I use both of them, but I select what a
send through each.  USPS is by far the best in on time delivery with
first class (Priority over 13 oz.) mail packages.  UPS doesn't even come
close.

Be careful you don't compare apples with oranges on services available.
Wxpress mail is always as agreed upon.  If the receiving PO says no
tomorrow delivery, there won't be any.  If you want Saturday delivery wth
UPS be prepared to pay the $10 that goes along with only their premium
services.

UPS offers a lot of services, and you pay more for all of them than you
do for any equivelant USPS service

UPS Domestic    UPS Next day air early AM       Overnight by 8 am
                UPS Next day air                Overnight by 10:30 am
                UPS Next day air saver  Overnight by 3:00 pm
                UPS Second day air AM   Second day by noon
                UPS Second day air              Second day by end of
day (up to 9                                    pm)
                UPS 3 Day select                within three business
days                                            (weekends don't
count)
                UPS Ground (Commercial) Day-definate
                UPS Ground (Residential)        Scheduled service
There is a $1.00 surcharge to residential deliveries, which includes any
business operated from a home, and to out of the way locations there is
an additional charge  above that.

$7.50 or $5.00 address correction fee, depending on service.

USPS            Express Mail            Next day to nearly all
locations
                First Class (up to 13 oz)       2-5 days
                Priority Mail           2-5 days Claims (2-3days)
They                                    also supply the mailers NC
                Fourth Class            Be patient
                Standard Mail           For bulk mailers only. Rates
as low                                  as 10 ents a piece.
                Periodicals             For publishers only.  Lowest
in the                                  world.

I use both services, but USPS is becoming my favored way, it's quicker,
cheaper and more reliable.  Also now has tracking for 35 cents more.

I also use bulk mail non profit for my high school Alumni newspaper.  If
you prepare it properly for automation, it moves almost as fast as first
class now.

USPS handles about 800,000,000 mail pieces a day on average, to
120,000,000 addresses in the US.  They service every address on a six day
a week basis.  They also are not a true Government unit but a quasi
independent one that manages to turn a profit each year, with rare
exception.

They also handle first class mail letters for about 1/2 the average price
of any other nation.  There may be some black holes for mail service in
the US, but my experiences working with my mail reps are all positive.
The system works well.

Compare fairly.

Paul Asgeirsson
Morriservice