Re: Radios, antennas, and speakers?

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Radios, antennas, and speakers?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:05:40 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
> 2. Where to put the speaker(s)? Actually, I'd be quite happy with a
>    single low-tech speaker right in the original grill. Can such
>    an old-fashioned speaker be found?  What have y'all used?

Chuck,
I kind of like your idea of using a single speaker as original.
A few points.
Buy a radio on which you can connect both channels together.  I think on
some radios this is ok, on others it causes problems.
Buy a stereo with decent power and more importantly a good speaker so that
you can turn it up loud enough to hear while moving.  I think Radio Shack
sells single speakers, but to get a good one, you may have to buy a set.

> 3. I hate to cut a hole for an antenna, having patched up so many
>    other holes. Is there a "better" way?

My buddy used a wire antenna in his Spitfire.  It's just a wire that you
route behind the dash, maybe with an antenna amplifier.  On his car it
worked ok, the reception will be a little worse than with a real antenna.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9