Bonneville (no LBC)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonneville (no LBC)
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 05:01:45 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have had several requests for info on what is going on so I thought I
would post an update on what we are doing..... for the May 1&2 race in
Maxton North Carolina...

The Camaro ran really well last meet and set the Record at 166.359 for the
East Coast Timing Association..... but that motor was really not a serious
Race motor..

The Motor I have always planned on running is going in the car this
week....and it should be a serious race motor.... it is a 1968 Chevrolet
302 cu inch that has been destroked to 295 inches... the crank is turned
down from a 3 inch stroke to 2.900 inches and the bore is a 4.030 inch....
a motor like this is designed for a bunch of RPM but not a lot of bottom
end anything... in other words it will make a ton of HP above 5000 RPM all
the way up to about 11,000 RPM... now to make it live....at that RPM there
is a bunch of work on Valves and rocker assemblies and so on... it has a
Crane Roller valve train with Titanium Valves
and a Competion Cam Roller set up.... The Ignition system is a MSD with a
soft touch Rev limiter and adjustable Rev control.... yeah it is a major
issue stopping this thing from grenading itself... which it would do if
allowed to

My Plans on the Transmission were kinda shot in the foot this last week...
I have always run a wide ratio four speed as it gave me the ability to
leave the starting line under my own power... all the guys on the
land-speed@autox.team.net are saying that I need a close ratio and to push
the car off like everyone else does... seems the 3-4 shift at speed is
critical....and over drives take HP to operate so no one runs them...

well other then that.... last weekend I painted the car Ivory white and I
am now getting it ready for the Red Scallop on the back....

if your curious HELL YES I wish this was the Healey.... but the learning
curve has been wonderful... and to be quite frank.... I am having the time
of my life...
I want to get started on the Healey... pretty soon... Probably here in the
next couple of months... as I would really love to run it next year... but
it may take even one more year of this Camaro silliness to learn enough to
build a safe and fast Healey....

Well that is about it.... Spectators are free.. at Maxton and you guys
oughta plan a drive down to see some of this... interesting machines at
these meets and we welcome car clubs as spectators....

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )