Bugeye Transmission broke!

To: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bugeye Transmission broke!
From: Bruce Lowry <hotwheels@longviewtx.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:25:01 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello list,
I have a transmission problem. After owning Cosmo for less than a year
with no real problems, I think I blew up the tranny! I did all the
fluids and things so It appears to be just age and miles. I was driving
to work and pulled away in first but when I shifted to second there was
nothing there!!! Nothing dramatic just no more gears! None! In 3rd and
4th I can hear a rumble from the tranny but that is all it will do. I
have not had a chance to look into it yet but plan too this weekend. One
of my car repair mottos has always been to "Check the simple stuff
first" I have heard about "overshifting " and am not to sure about other
maladys that can occur in a 75000 mile original 60 smoothcase
transmission. Is this possibly something that can be cured by a tap of a
hammer....replace the trans....wave a bucket of chicken over it ....I am
open for ideas and suggestions. I plan to do the 5 speed conversion down
the road but life sometimes makes you wait. I have spotted several MGs
and sprites in the area for a resonable price so if I could get a list
of transmissions that will fit I would be forever in the experts of LBC
lore forever. About 20 miles before this happened I did hear a tapping
in all gears but put it off as valve adjustment but have not confirmed
this.
Another small question....As I extended my trips to a greater length I
noticed that at speed my oil pressure would drop to about 25 and the
temp would rise to about 190.
Having little experience with these cars I was wondering if these
figures were in line or acceptable.
Thanks for your time
Bruce Lowry