Re: A funny thing happened

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A funny thing happened
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:50:10 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Travis G Elliott wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> I just had to relate a true story that happened today.
>
> I called Advance Auto to see what their price was on a clutch.
>
> The assistant answers the phone and I tell him that I want to get a
> pressure plate for a 79 MG Midget.
>
> He asks,"who makes It?"
>
> "MG", I say.
>
> "Never heard of it!"
>
> I advise him to look in his catalog under MG.
>
> "there it is, that's a new one on me", he replies.
>
> "Haven't you ever heard of MG", I ask.
>
> "Never", he replies.
>
> "Thank You", I say, and hang up.
>
> Can you beleive that!!!!
>
> BTW, they did carry all the parts I needed for the clutch, but they were
> more expensive than either MOSS or VB.
>
> Just thought I would share,
>
> Travis
> 79 MG Midget 1500 (and proud of it)
I have a friend that works for Advance, and him being a former mechanic
from Long Island, he has no problem finding parts for me. But we did get
a kick out of one of his younger assistant managers trying to look up a
part for our 69 Sprite. We gave him an education, and now he is as
reliable for getting parts as my friend George is. Advance has got good
prices on some things,Brake calipers,Water Pumps, generator and
alternators, but with anything, they can't always have the best price.
Also look at the warranty offered on the parts, VB and Moss only have
short term warranties, Advance guarantees most of the stuff for one year
or life. It might be worth educating that assistant so he can help you
quickly in the future. Most of the time I walk in the neighbourhood
store at least one of the counter staff say hello, just to find out what
weird vehicle I am working on now.

Mark Snowdon
69 Sprite
72,73, & 79 Midgets
80 Fiat Spider
Pure Stock and Super Stock race cars

ps: my 320i Beamer, 79 Dodge pick up and 76 F600 cube truck are all on
the selling block, anyone interested reply privately.