Re: Speaking of conversions...

Subject: Re: Speaking of conversions...
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 18:56:46 +1000
Cc: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The battery tray has to be cut away and the tunnel enlarged.  Somewhere has
to be found for the exhaust as well.  New engine and gearbox mounts are
required and the tailshaft ends up very short.  It's not a pretty thing but
back then Bugeyes were worth nothing and I suppose the same fate befell big
Healeys with big six or V8 conversions.  And just think of what that extra
weight would have done to the suspension and brakes!  They were also
impossible to keep cool.  Most of these cars had a very hard, short life
and disappeared, I only know of one remaining and that also has the Morris
Major torsion bar front end grafted on.

The irony of it all is that they were very rarely quicker point to point
than a standard spec car.

Peter Westcott