Re: auto painting, compressors,

Subject: Re: auto painting, compressors,
From: Travis G Elliott <TGElliott@infoave.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:04:58 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
At 12:29 PM 4/30/1999 -0700, Toby Atwater wrote:
ALSO... what paint gun to get? I see a big variaty, from $20 to $200+

>Has anybody done a in house spray job? I would like to get thier comments
>and suggestions and what can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong....

Toby,

I do painting of my own vehicles, and have  had many great comments on my
work.  I have  also had several who wanted me to paint for them.
(disclaimer) I, however am not a professional paint man, but here is what I
have learned over time.

1. The gun That I have found to work very good is an high volume low
pressure (HVLP) type gun.  It gives much less overspray and seems to me to
use less paint.  The prices of these guns run from around $150 to outrageous.
Mine is a MAC tools gun that cost approx. $150.  It works much better than
the old mist type suction gun.

2.As far as dust goes, The cleaner the area, the better off the paint
finish will be. One trick is to spray down the ground area with water,
prior to painting to lay the dust down.  Bugs are also a bother. they seem
to be attracted to the paint.

3.The most important thing is PREPARATION.  If the body panels have ripples
or dents, they will be greatly magnified.  The paint job is only as good as
the body work that went in before the paint was sprayed.  The smoother the
surface painted the smoother the paint.

4. CLEAR COAT,CLEAR COAT, CLEAR COAT!!!!!  This can not be said enough.
clear coating protects the paint, and give a high gloss shine.  When you
buy you paint, tell the dealer that you want to clear coat it.  They will
probably sell you a 2-part paint. Ask for copies of the directions that go
with that particular paint and follow the instructions.

5. Lastly, take your time it is better to lightly coat the surface two or
three times, this makes runs alot less likely.  It also is a good idea to
practice on something like a piece of plywood or the garage wall to get the
gun regulated the way it needs to be.

This info, might not be the way a professional would do it, but it has
worked for me on a JEEP CJ, a S-10, and on my midget(primered at this time).

GOOD LUCK,

Travis
79 MG Midget 1500