Re: 72 Fuel Pump

To: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: 72 Fuel Pump
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 6 May 1999, Chuck Ciaffone wrote:

> 1. Is this a standard part?

No, I think it is a generic replacement pump.
When you turn on the ignition, does it ever stop clicking or does it just
keep on going?

> 2. Will the Moss-listed replacement pump bee the same and mount
>    the same? This pump mounts on two studs, secured with
>    hex nuts (1/2" box wrench), onto a rubber mounting
>    base.

It should, but you could just get another generic pump at Napa.

> 3. Should I worry at all before it stops working, or do fuel
>    pumps go gradually with lots of warning?
> In short, since it seems to work ok now, should I bother to
> find a replacement before it stops working?

I think the thing to do is to buy another pump and carry it around in the
trunk.  That way, the original pump will last forever.
If it doesn't, I like the trick that someone recently posted here, to
temporarily install the spare pump in the engine compartment richt at the
carb to get home.

Or you could do as Larry says, install 2 pumps.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9