72 Fuel Pump

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 72 Fuel Pump
From: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:40:27 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Getting paranoid in my old age, I guess, but today
I yanked the fuel pump to check it out. Wasn't doing
anything bad, you understand, just been in there a while.

This pump looks nothing like the pumps you see in catalogs.
It is boxy rather than cylindrical, and the only thing
that look at all removable is the diode that screws to the top
of the box. Just a box with hose fittings on either side.

Sooo ... looks not to be rebuildable. I'll probably put
it back on for now, but:

1. Is this a standard part?
2. Will the Moss-listed replacement pump bee the same and mount
   the same? This pump mounts on two studs, secured with
   hex nuts (1/2" box wrench), onto a rubber mounting
   base.
3. Should I worry at all before it stops working, or do fuel
   pumps go gradually with lots of warning?

In short, since it seems to work ok now, should I bother to
find a replacement before it stops working?

Chuck (the Paranoia King) Ciaffone