Re: Tire width

To: Lancer7676@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire width
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 08:59:32 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Lancer7676@aol.com writes:

<<
 Is 165/70 a standard size--the same size no matter which BRAND of tire you
 get?  Or is it like shoe sizes, with each company deciding for itself what
 constitutes a  size 9, size 11, or size 13?  If I want to take Peter's lead
 and get 165/70's on my Rostyles, can I be confident that I will get the same
 ride with another brand of 165/70's?  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes and no.  The size is the same no matter what brand you buy.  The 165 is
the width of the tire in millimeters, the 70 is the aspect ratio of the width
to the height of the tire.  A 60 would have a lower sidewall than a 70.

You won't (necessarily) get the same ride with one brand as another, even if
they are the same size.  There are differences in rubber compound, sidewall
strength, and tread design that all change the tire's ride and handling
characteristics.  A tire with a 60,000 mile warranty will be made of a harder
compound that will ride rougher and not handle as well as a tire designed for
racing, with a softer compound, but will only last a few thousand miles.

Life is compromise!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (Michelin X1 - 6 year warranty, worn out in 2!)