Re: Octane & CRs was Re: Automotive calculations for dummies

To: trunkie@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Octane & CRs was Re: Automotive calculations for dummies
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:09:29 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-05-11 06:05:39 EDT, trunkie@hotmail.com writes:

> Any hints for me? I would prefer to do it myself and keep the
>  cash
>  Andy

Everyone seems to have their own way.  Assuming your carb is good order
otherwise (throttle shafts ok, jets are centered, etc.), make sure your
ignition is in good shape (points, plugs, timing etc.).   Personally, I keep
the Uni-syn and Colortune in the drawer.  I use the "tube in my ear" method
for balancing (with stethoscope as an enhancement).  Forgive me if I miss a
step or 2, I'm running a Weber right now.  Loosen the throttle linkage nuts,
and back off the throttle stop screws til they just touch the throttle stop.
Lower each screw 1 or 2 turns of the throttle stop screw. Listen to the hiss
(or roar) in the ear tube until you have the same level of air noise.
Tighten throttle linkage nuts.

For mixture I bring the jet nuts to the top, back off 8 (most books say 12 -
whatever.) flats, start the car, and begin lowering the jets a flat at a
time.  The engine speed will increase for a bit.  When it just begins to
drop, I bring the jets back up 1 or 2 flats.  To check your work, raise the
lifting pin so that the piston rises a little bit - less than 1/8 inch. If
the exhaust note rises and stays there until you drop the piston, you're two
rich.  Lean the mixture by a flat and repeat the lifting pin test.  If the
revs drop and stumble, you're too lean.  Go one step richer.  If the note
rises and then falls back to where it was before you used the lifting pin,
you're in good shape.  Adjust the choke linkage so it works evenly on both
mixture nuts.  Re-adjust the idle screws to your best idle (lowest with
engine running smoothly.  Should be 800 - 900).