Re: Morris vs British Leyland

To: toyman@htcomp.net
Subject: Re: Morris vs British Leyland
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 07:55:12 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad -

If you don't want to start a feud, don't ask the question. <grin>

Seriously, the 1500 has two weakmesses:  (a) It comes from the much
hated Tr#&mph, and (b) It is hard on the bottom end (crank and rod
bearings).  The crank and rod bearing do have a pretty short lifespan if
not cared for, and it has been known to drop its crankshaft thrust
washers, with resultant inadvertant machining of the block and crank.

The second weakness can be attended to by using top quality lubricants
and making a practice of renewing the bearings at the first sign of
dropping oil pressure at idle.  Since this can be done with the engine
in the car, it's not a major ordeal (at least I don't think so).

Some would say this is a terrible flaw, but I don't see it as being any
worse than "decoking"  the head every few thousand miles.  If one is
going in for a full overhaul of the engine, there are a few tricks that
increase the life of the bottom end.

The first weakness, one can do nothing about.  There is an unfortunate
association between the 1500 and all the emissions and safety
cr...hardware that was hung on the '75 and later Midget.  That's not the
engine's fault.  A lot of people hate the 1500 because "it's not an MG
engine".  Well, neither was the engine in the MGA or MGB, having come
over from BMC, or the A-block engine having come over from Austin and
Morris.  T series purists sneered at those engines, too.  The last MG
with an "MG Engine" was the TF (XPEG engine).

Don't get me wrong, I love the A-block and B-block engines, too.  Each
has their foibles and advantages.  You pays your money and you takes
your choice.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net
'77 Midget (That gets 29.5 MPG in city traffic, keeps up easily on 75+
MPH freeways, and can have the heater valve closed without fear of
starving a cylinder for coolant.)