Re: Morris vs British Leyland

To: ckotting@iwaynet.net, toyman@htcomp.net
Subject: Re: Morris vs British Leyland
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 18:54:13 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/13/99 6:58:04 AM EST, ckotting@iwaynet.net writes:

<<  It is hard on the bottom end (crank and rod
 bearings).  The crank and rod bearing do have a pretty short lifespan if
 not cared for, and it has been known to drop its crankshaft thrust
 washers >>

Still following my previous post, when I first bought my 1500 Midget, I had
to correct errors by a DPM in that he had installed the clutch disk
backwards.  While the engine was out I installed new bearings in the bottom
end, using a half and half mix of Motor oil and STP to lube them good.  I
also found that a very Bright Previous Previous Mechanic (BPPM) had pinned
the crankshaft thrust bearings so that they could not drop.  At first I
thought "what in the hell ELSE have they done wrong?"  Then as I and my
Mechanic/Consultant (yes Adrian, it was he!  8^) ) studied it we realized we
were observing a master stroke!  Now I can drive without fear that the thrust
bearings will drop and creat havoc within the lower engine.

So I agree that keeping the 1500, or any engine for that matter, in tip top
shape with regualar maintenance and excellent lubes, and being sure anything
done inside is "done right", will keep it running like a top.  BTW--the BPPM
also stripped everything smoglike off this engine.  That couldn't have hurt.

--David