Re: first motion shaft bushing

To: Bruce Woodward <brucewoodward@kconline.com>
Subject: Re: first motion shaft bushing
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:28:31 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bruce Woodward wrote:

> I'm getting ready to pull motor on my 1098cc Mark II Midget and renew the
> first motion shaft bushing, the little bronze bushing that is inset in the
> crankshaft and centers the input shaft of the transmission.
>
> My question:  None of the local supply houses have an expanding bushing
> puller small enough (1/2" inside diameter) for purchase.  Anybody got any
> secrets to alternative removal of this bushing?
>
> bruce@woodward-realty.com

Bruce

I think you mean the pilot bushing if it's in the crank shaft.
Some ideas that work....
1) simple hydraulics, pack the bushing with grease, insert a suitable
drift (the right size socket on an extension will too) smack it with a
hammer and the old bushing should pop out.
2) chisel out the old one with a screwdriver.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ