Re: Autocross car preparation.

To: Lancer7676@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Autocross car preparation.
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:07:05 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/18/99 8:15:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Lancer7676@aol.com writes:

<< now I am thinking of turning it into an Autocross car. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The first thing you need to do is to find out what class you will be running
the car in, then see what mods are allowed in that class.  If you are talking
about SCCA Solo II, the modifications you are speaking about would probably
put you in D-Mod class.  D-Mod allows almost anything you can think of as far
as modifications to the car.  This is also a very expensive class, if you
want to be competitive.

The Midget would be less expensive to run in DSP class.  DSP is a street
legal class with limits on the modifications you can make.  The car will have
to be inspected in your state and legal, so you would have to have doors that
open.  You can get R-compound (DOT approved) tires like Hoosiers or
Yokohamas.  Putting sticky, big tires on is much easier with round wheel
arches, or flared fenders.  BTW, they are probably going to move Spridgets
into ESP class next year.

I would suggest that you get on the AutoX list and post your questions.  They
aren't as friendly a bunch as us Spridgets folks, so be ready for a few
put-downs for having an antique car.  They run Miatas and Neons.  You will
receive answers that will be helpful, amongst a multitude of other posts.

Also, you may want to sign up for the Phila. Region e-mail list called PHAX.
We are much more friendly, and your posts will be answered by very helpful
people.  Subscribe yourself by sending "subscribe phax" to
majordomo@eng.kns.com.

Have fun,

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget