Re: Loctite? (was: Lock tabs vs lock washers)

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: Re: Loctite? (was: Lock tabs vs lock washers)
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:31:55 EDT
Cc: Metallian6@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-05-19 18:32:13 EDT, ulix@u.washington.edu writes:

> Do people really use Loctiteon rod and main bolts?   I can still change
>  that, my engine is only half assembled.
>  Ulix

I was taught use it, but very carefully for possibility getting a false
torque reading.  My mentor was real big on gradual torquing (5 or 10 lb
increments), so you better not let it set at all! I was also taught to use a
feeler gauge wedged in between the rod ends and the crankshaft lobes when
tightening the rod bolts to prevent any (admittedly microscopic) damage to
the crank from the rod end trying to twist as you torque.  Superstition?
Maybe, but that's half the fun.  Also, on my still(!) leak-free 1275, I went
through 2 tubes of very high temp RTV (says "For The Professional" on the
tube, like you wouldn't want this stuff falling into the hands of an
amateur), and lots of very fine emery paper prepping surfaces.  Seemed to do
the trick in conjunction with good PCV.