Re: Gas tank pickup tube

To: walters@mail.softcom.net
Subject: Re: Gas tank pickup tube
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 23:40:05 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Rick/Carolyn wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> You are in luck, I just went through this on Puddles my Bug-i.  It was
> real strange, I took the tank out and back to the radiator shop.  They
> informed me the pick up tube is loose inside the tank.  Yep, it sure
> is.  You have to pull the tank again and remove the sending unit.  Look
> into the sending unit hole and reach in with a coat hanger to snag the
> pick up tube.  You will have to hold the tube down in place while you
> torque the fitting on the outside.  It is almost a two man job, but I
> did do it by myself.  On mine the outside connection is metal but from
> there it is rubber tube.  On a 77 i Believe it is metal so you may have
> to pull the tube to the fuel pump and install it on the tank.  Then but
> the whole assembly back on the car.

I dropped the tank and this is what I did and found.  First I plugged the
gas line at the mechanical fuel pump at the engine and pulled a vacuum on
the
entire fuel line.  Using a vacuum gauge I could tell that the line held a
vacuum.  That rules out any problem with the fuel line leaking.

So on to the fuel tank.  I pulled out the sender unit to see if the pickup
tube had moved like Rick had suggested.  The pick up tube on the 77 Midget
is held in place on the bottom of the tank with  a piece of metal.  This
means that the pickup tube is in the correct place.  All I can figure is
pickup tube has a hole in it, which is possible since the tube is rusted.
Since my tank is not in the greatest shape I decided it is time to buy
a new tank.

Checking the M*ss catalogue I they list the gas tank for 71 and later
Midgets as unavailable.  This is not good for me.  Anyone know where I
can get a gas tank?  Figures the last piece that I need is not available.
I will called the major suppliers tomorrow morning and see what I can
find.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget