Re: Bugeye Fuel line / Fuel Pump

To: "Bob Frato" <bobfrato@bright.net>, "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye Fuel line / Fuel Pump
From: "Marlene Rzepkowski" <mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 00:39:58 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob,
My recent experience with my 77 midget leads me to lend the following $.02
to your question.

My filter was draining out slowly (several days) and it would take lots of
cranking before the mechanical fuel pump had things primed and pumped. The
hard starting and slow priming was cured by changing the flex lines and
tightening the screws that hold the fuel pump together.  Now the filter
stays full and the vehicle starts easier.

My guess is, If it smells like fuel, it probably is leaking out slowly
somewhere in your system.  These are tough to find because there never is a
puddle. (The gas just evaporates)  If the lines are old, I'd replace them.
If everything were tight and the pump was just allowing gas to return to the
tank due to internal wear , the smell would probably not be noticeable.

Just my .02, do with it what you'd like.

Dick
1977 Midget "Maggie"