hoaxes and viruses

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: hoaxes and viruses
From: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 07:54:55 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi all!

Thanks for the many comments and suggestions about how to check for virus
authenticity.  I wasn't asking the question, just sort of planting a seed
for thought.

Most hoaxes seem to follow the same pattern.  AOL, IBM, or Microsoft said
...  Please tell everyone ...  This is not a hoax ...  Some carry someone's
signature at the end.

Unfortunately for me, there was a warning sent by our network administrator
at work on Friday, about a virus (e-mail file attachment) that our virus
scanning software company warned him about.  I have personally seen that
attachment in an e-mail at home.  (lends some credability, doesn't it?)  I
spent a bit of time trying to remember where the e-mail was from and what I
had done with it.  I seem to remember that my brother-in-law might have been
the sender.  So, I come home and get an official cut and paste message from
my brother-in-law giving information about the same virus.  hmmmm!  I will
take this one seriously enough to check it out for myself.  I updated my
virus software from Symantec's web site last night and did a scan.  While I
have been thinking about doing a way overdue backup, I haven't yet.  Perhaps
Sunday will be good.

My advice:  get some virus scanning software and do backups.  If a warning
says 'tell everyone'; don't tell anyone.  (or write back to the sender :) )

Not all hoaxes are about computers.  Some are about AIDS infected needles
stuffed into theatre seats, and political policies and other creative items.
I know of a doctor in this city who cannot use his office phone anymore
because someone put his signature at the bottom of the 'needle' hoax.  And,
I know someone who got stuck with a needle in a theatre seat when a copycat
probably got the idea from the e-mail (didn't test positive).

Turns out it's real:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.explore.zip.html
... so, while I have been exposed, I haven't been infected.  Phew !
Quickview must have saved me from opening that attachment.

off my soapbox now ...
Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette