Car feels light at highway speeds

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car feels light at highway speeds
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:42:27 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Spridgeteers,

I had the opportunity to take a little trip with some other LBC's this
weekend and they got a little ahead of me.  In my attempt to catch up I
was driving the Midget at about 75+ a little.  I noticed that it seems
to get real light at speeds over 70.  By light I mean that it felt like
it had a mind of its own and didn't want to go straight down the road.
I haven't noticed this before, but I had a weekends worth of stuff in
the boot and my wife in the right seat.  I must have had about 450 lbs
in the car, (of course my wife added very little of the total).  It was
suggested that the toe may need to be set, can I just do this with a
ruler at the front and rear of  the wheel?  Any idea what spec. is for
measuring it this way? (Do I remember 1/4 inch wider in the back than
the front?)  Shocks are good, upper bushings are new, wheels and tires
are new, 3/4 anti-sway bar, new wheel bearings and no play in the king
pin joints or any where else that I can find.

--
Mark
1970 Midget

http://members.home.net/mendicott/midget.html