Re: Re[2]: Car feels light at highway speeds

To: "Dave Vrba" <Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com>, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Car feels light at highway speeds
From: "Guy" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:37:53 +0100
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
You can do an awful lot of accurate checking on a sprite with a length of
string and two lengths of dowel.

1. Check chassis alignment.
Park up on level ground with steering as close to dead ahead as you can.
Tie one end of string to something at front of car close to the wheel centre
hight ( front bumper) and pull the string taught down the full length of the
car so that it just touches the outer side wall of the front tyre at two
points. ( like a diameter) without "bending" the string.  The rear track is
narrower so the string should pass an equal distance from the front and rear
edges of the rear tyre sidewalls. Check the other side the same way. You may
need to adjust the steering wheel just a fraction to get both sides to
match.  Tha actual measurements are not important, but you are looking  for
the space between the string and rear wheel sidewalls to be the same both
sides of the car, and for the front and rear wheels to be parallel.  (Hell,
that is harder to explain in words than it is to do !!!)

2,    Check front wheel toe-in like Frank says, but I find this hard to do
with an ordinary bendy tape measure whilst lying under my car ( remember it
is not jacked up !)
My solution is to use an old carpenter's trick ( Frank should know this).
Hold two lengths of dowl together, length to length. Each one needs to be
roughly 2/3 to 3/4 the width of the car. Put the end of dowl one against the
rear inside edge of one front tyre wall (as near to axle height as the car
chassis will allow)  and slide the second one until it touches the maching
point on the other front wheel.  Make a pencil mark where the dowls overlap.
Repeat  at the corresponding front points on the tyre.  The distance between
the two pencil marks is the amount of toe- in.  I set mine to 3/16" narrower
at the front measurement. Again, the total measurement between the wheels
dosn't matter. It is the difference that is important.

Hey, do I get a "clear English" prize ??  I thinknot !!
Guy